Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Christmas 2006 ...

Last night we heard from our son Daniel that he and his girlfriend of several years (Lindsay) had broken up. He let us know over the phone so I didn't get the chance to hold him in a massive bear hug and try to make him feel better. I had tried to prepare him for this day, but how is that possible. Heart break is a part of growing up. For many of us well... we've been there and nothing can quite describe that feeling of having your guts kicked out. But you know, "I know exactly how you feel" is a pile of crap. We all take these things in a completely unique way. For me that's how Christmas passed...but not how is began. I think it is wonderful that children allow us to share the joy of Christmas, because it really is their day. We watch the excitement build to a powerful crescendo. The increase is exponential with the addition of every child. I could sense the tremours in Connor long before the day, but the arrival of Caelah and Elijah Christmas eve unleashed a tsunami of unbridled excitement. I watch as "Moe Larry and Curly Joe" literally circumnavigate the entire ground floor of our home vocalizing with ecstatic delight at a decibel level which never went below a joyous scream. We all looked knowingly from one to another and the first miracle of Christmas was the tree remaining upright. Only the cats Zip and Wizzix hightailed it outta there, but I did catch a look on our black Lab's face which told me that had there not been such a good prospect for food being dropped on the floor, she'd be gone too.
Aidan is becoming such a good sport about Christmas. Never a big deal in his past he married into the huge production that christmas has always been in our home. If he had his 'drathers, he and Jo and the kids would arrive sometime in the late morning on the 25th, have an abbreviated gift exchange enjoy Christmas dinner and return home Christmas night. But ever since he has become part of the family he has steadfastly endured the overstuffed house and the impossible sleeping arrangements and the unbelievably early rising Christmas morning. Every time I see him endure this - and it's been a few years now - my love for him grows.
This year Katie's boyfriend Dave had his first baptism of fire. He performed admirably though at times I'm sure he would have "rather been in Philadelphia" God love him too.
Christmas Eve Liz realized that the 20 lb turkey we thought we had was closer to 30 lbs and we didn't have roating pan big enough. The hunt was on and the best we could do was to procure a tinfoil one from the 3rd or 4th place she went to which at least fit the bird.
Now let me tell you a bit about my wife. Liz is the personification of Christmas spirit. Without her there would be no Christmas in our home. She's the Christmas guru. If you've evr watched "Elizabethtown" Liz is like susan Sarandon at the memorial for her husband. She just goes and goes. I think of sue doing the little tap dance thing and for me it sums up Liz this Christmas in particular. She conquered all. she wasn't feeling particularly well but the show must go on.
We have a 3 bedroom house. Christmas Eve we had Aidan, Dave and Daniel in the master bedroom, Jo, Kate and Gabriel in the middle room and Connor, Caelah & Elijah in Daniel's room.
Liz and I had a couch in the livingroom anda cozy corner of floor. It is worked out by Liz in such a way as to not disturb anyone when she gets up at 5:00 AM to do the stocking stuffers. At this point the plan calls for at least a couple of hours sleep, but that wasn't about to happen this year. Poor old Gaby had a rough night (which meant that Jo and Katie did too). I helplessly listened as the night unfolded with Jo trying to settly Caelah and Elijah and attempt to calm Gabriel. Our resident Susan Sarandon got up and brought Gaby downstairs and he fell right to sleep. "The guys" in the master bedroom never heard a thing. Oddly enough I don't think Connor did either. My most peaceful time of the night/morning is when I take Arwen out for her walk. It is fresh, dark starry and shortlivedly quiet. The first of many pots of coffee began brewing at 5:00. Stockings ready and the turkey in to cook the kids hit the livingroom and I doubt one foot hit a step on the way downstairs. Even in this melee good old "Susan" has order. Everyone takes turns opening an item from their stocking by which time I believe we're on pot #3.... then the presents and I think Elijah takes the Oscar for most excited but it is a bitterly contested orchestration of Christmas delight - and but for the East German judge Caelah might have pulled it out. Now we have hit one of the few reasons adults are allowed to participate in Christmas as we now strive to assemble various items assigned to us. Then tradition dictates that I cook breakfast. Traditionally ham & eggs but Aidan has put his mark on the family tradition and a welcome one it is too. He does waffles (Jo actually helps with this but I think in future she should not be allowed as she does enough). She is also wasted from lack of sleep. Another truly fascinating thing about Christmas is that children seem to insist on playing in the middle of the kitchen while breakfast is being orchestrated around them but we do manage to convince them to leave most of the time. Breakfast is served and we manage to consume enough food for a small African country. Christmas dinner is still to come. Another bothersome Christmas tradition is the annual trek to the nearest convenience store for the one type of battery we forgot. Light sabres now actively engaged the tiffany shade survives - Christmas truly is a time of miracles. Now Ms Sarandon needs some help with the ostrich - for that truly is about the size this avian delicacy is. I remove the pteradactyl sized piece of poultry for examination. a little precarious but without incident. Coming along nicely put it back in the oven. This is when the tinfoil pan decided it's hung in there long enough and decides jetison the pachadermal poultry and pour several quarts worth of boiling turkey juice down my leg and onto my foot. Every inclination in my being is to drop the carcass and extricate myself and in my mind that picture from the 70's of that naked Vietnamese girl running down the road after being struck by napalm. We save the bird though we lose some juice my sweat pants have protected my keg but my foot is badly burned. This will produce a very large bubble on my foot for the duration but I'm okay apart from that. A few brandy and egg ogs and I'm right as rain. Dinner time arrives and Jo and Katie and "Sue" work up a storm in the kitchen. I carve the stegosaurus readily and we prepare to feast. And it is delicous. We make hardly a dent in the bird but everything is perfect. For the first time in history people have no room for dessert. This I believe is largely the effect of Aidan's fantastic waffles whipping cream bananas and syrup. the aternoon calmly becomes evening with a few games a movie and then it is time to pack off the kids. By 8:30 "Sue" is in her bath, and Connor is in bed. Daniel and I have Jo's amazing blueberry cheesecake and disappointedly watch Dallas get spanked by the Eagles. I limp off to take Arwen for a walk and by 11:00 I am in bed and the day has ended. Boxing Day was uneventful except for the news of Daniel's break-up but life goes on. He is planning on joining the Armed Forces Reserve in the Governor General Foot Guards, so soon do they grow up. We have all grown this Christmas season as we reinforce the things that are meaningful. Faith, Family and Friends the way we touch each other with love and I leave the day feeling especially loved. It was a wonderful day because I was with my family and they love me. God keep us strong and true and may these days reflect in us - YOU.

1 Comments:

Blogger Johannah said...

I LOVE reading your words, Dad. Someone said it to me once, but; "I can hear you speaking as I read them." I now have a second perspective on the day. Which is especially valuable since I napped my way through your painful turkey incident. I love you so much. Write more, ok? I will always be waiting to read more.

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home